freetds - Re: interfaces file

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: Re: interfaces file
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:10:45

The WIN.INI behavior is inherited from Sybase's dblib 4.2. As of 10.0
Sybase switched to using a file called SQL.INI in the %SYBASE% directory.
The Unix stuff, of course, has always used interfaces in $SYBASE.

Great idea on the .interfaces file. But, could it check that prior to
checking $SYBASE/interfaces, that would be more in line with other unix
programs, and would allow a user to override a host setting, a desirable
thing.

My other question would be if it doesn't find the server in the interfaces
file and trys to use it as a hostname where does it get the port number?

But it sounds good. The interfaces file support is sort of broken. It
needs to support name lookup, (right now it just accepts an IP addr,
IIRC).

By the way, I got some simple ODBC stuff working. I'll check it in
tonight. (It runs through a result set, no binding...but it's a step in
the right direction).