freetds - Re: freetds-0.21 (fwd)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: Re: freetds-0.21 (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:27:1

On 09/03/98, "Mihai Ibanescu <misa AT dntis.ro>" wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Brian Bruns wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The autoconf looks good, just a couple of minor issues.
> >
> > 1) Versions: I've upped this to version 0.3, there were enough changes to
> > justify this, especially with gnuification (?) This version also
> > includes Greggs long query fix. It's it the normal place:
> >
> > ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/freetds-0.3.tgz
>
> That's correct. But the version upgrade could be done only by the
> authors. Maybe it's room to talk about the version numbering here. I don't
> know if it's OK to skip from 0.22 to 0.3, maybe to 0.30. Or to mark devel
> versions something like 0.2-2 or 0.2.2, then we could skip to 0.3. This is
> because if I RPM package it for RedHat systems, I believe rpm will think
> 0.22 is newer than 0.3 (and not only rpm is the problem). Maybe I'm wrong.

I was thinking of following the Gnome-type numbering...ie .22 is the 22nd
pre-1.0 version. This way we don't have to worry that .3 is 30% done or
some such.

> > 3) The lib directory...most programs built against open client expect a
> > $SYBASE/lib directory. It appears everything is going into
> > $SYBASE/src/[dir]/.libs ? I could be mistaken on this one.
>
> Well, one could force it to install there:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds
> export SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds
>
> If it's going to be like this, probably another thing to write in
> the FAQ. Otherwise, have to read more to find out how to change the
> default prefix. Probably I'll have to define prefix=/usr/local/freetds in
> the config.in.

This really should be the default...sqsh at least wants a structure like
that.

The important files/directories that would be expected in $SYBASE:
$SYBASE/interfaces
$SYBASE/include
$SYBASE/lib

And I'm probably forgetting a couple (like locales if we get to this
someday).

> > 4) Makefiles for the unit tests seem to have disappeared since they were
> > moved to the samples directory.
>
> Yeah... I did not want to make the Makefiles link against the .o
> files, but against the libraris. Doing this BEFORE the installation is
> tricky because the libraries are stored in strange dirs by libtool. I
> think I'll generate a Makefile based on a Makefile.am, and install the
> samples dir in $SYBASE (just like Sybase's CTlib does). I'll look into
> this today or tomorrow.

Thanks :)

> > 5) BSDI...I get an error making on a BSDI machine in the dblib directory,
> > the error message follows, (possibly assuming GMake?)
> >
> > make: don't know how to make /%,. Stop
>
> I think it's because a non-GNU make.

We will most likely be facing this on all the non-free OSes. We need to
properly detect this.

Thanks again

Brian