corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Romans 13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Romans 13
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 20:46:34 EDT

    For one thing, I am not familiar with taxes / tribute (phorous, vv. 6-7) being paid to the synagogue or its leader.  Taxes are paid to government authorities and to the Temple, but the synagogue was a rather different institution.  Do you have examples of synagogues collecting taxes?
Jim Miller
<<I spent the better part of a full year studying Romans without having been predisposed to an opinion by a prior theological training.  My question is how anyone can read verses 13:3 and 13:4 as anything other than Paul referring to interaction with the leaders of the synogogues?>>