corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Rom. 13 not about civil government??

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Rom. 13 not about civil government??
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:20:44 -0400

Justin D. stated, "it strikes me as a little odd that Paul would refer to a roman civil magistrate as a "diakonos tou theou". I don't want to digress from the discussion under way on Rom.13, but the idea of a civil magistrate as a "diakonos tou theou" was not strange to the Johannine community. In John 19:10-11, Jesus informs Pontius Pilate that he would not have any authority to crucify him unless it was given, ANWQEN "from above", ie. from God. I don't see why this concept would not also be shared by the Pauline community.

Tony Costa, M.A., ThD (cand)
Toronto, Canada