corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Rom. 13 not about civil government??

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Justin Dombrowski" <jedombrowski AT msn.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Rom. 13 not about civil government??
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:37:15 -0400

On 13.7: I suspect "taxes" is an unfortunate translation of "foros". The "telwn-" wordgroup more customarily refers to taxes. Rom 13 says, "apodote...tw ton foron, ton foron"; and "foros" is something more general like just a payment, something owed, and sometimes a tribute which is a bit different than a tax, etc. Probably, Paul merely intended to exhort his readers to pay back (the closer sense of apodote) what is owed. In which case, Paul's command is generic enough that this need not imply Roman provincials.

Personally I'm not entirely sure what to make of this passage. A couple reasons why I feel uncomfortable with the traditional "civil magistrate" reading are that it strikes me as a little odd that Paul would refer to a roman civil magistrate as a "diakonos tou theou"--seems like really overstating things--and because it seems like a pretty big jump from ch.12 to civic leaders. Moving to ecclesiastical authorities is a smaller step. But then again, Paul's language about the "exousia" and "hoi arxontes" seems pretty strong, and seems to me more apropos if applied to a roman provincial than a church leader. And if Paul was referring to ecclesiastical leaders, it makes me wonder exactly how he thought the church was organized and operating there.

I'm not really partial to either reading.

Justin D.
The Jewish Theological Seminary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard W. Wilson" <rwwilson147 AT swbell.net>