corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] The audience of Romans

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Justin Dombrowski" <jedombrowski AT msn.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] The audience of Romans
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:00:42 -0500

That is not to say that Paul is uninterested in the plight or salvation
of Judeans, or Jews, but rather that he feels his call is towards Gentiles.
Hence it would make sense for him to primarily address Gentile Christ believers
in Romans, rather than Jewish Christ believers, especially if it was the
Gentile ones who were in leadership in Rome following the Claudian expulsion of
Jews from Rome not too long beforehand.

I really don't see how one can defend connecting gentile addressees with leadership in Rome and the Claudian expuslion, and I don't see how that implies it's more sensible for Paul to address gentiles rather than Jews in Rome. Could you explain? Just doesn't seem at all present or necessary from the text.

I might also add that while Paul calls himself "apostolos tois ethnesin," he clearly does demonstrate an interest in Jewish converts within his letters (esp. the problems they're causing). He may have focused on gentiles (or at least intended to...), but he clearly ministered to both together too.