corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Pre-New Perspective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Pre-New Perspective
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:03:47 -0800 (PST)

Mark wrote:

>It is interesting to observe that if these voices
>prior to the New Perspective are given their due,
>the moniker "new perspective" is at least
>slightly misleading...I am
>curious if any of you have examples at hand. It
>would be nice to pull together some of them.
>(in the early pages, Sanders, Paul and Palestinian
>Judaism, included some from Montefiore, Moore,
>and Sandmel, so I have those handy.)

Mark,

I don't have it at hand now, but I recall Dunn citing
(somewhere in Jesus, Paul, and the Law) a rather
memorable quote from an "older voice". It goes
something like, "If Paul was really attacking rabbinic
Judaism, then much of his argument is irrelevant, his
abuse unwarranted, and his conception of that which he
was attacking inaccurate." It's a citation I've never
forgotten, but I can't remember who said it. Is it one
of the three you list above? I'll look into this tonight.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com