corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Double Naming (more)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Double Naming (more)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:51:09 -0600

I appreciate Prof. Kraft bringing his customary methodological precision to this question and look forward to the results of the examination he suggests. It might be pointed out that even a large number of cases of X ho epikaloumenos Y would represent a necessary condition for Timothy=Titus, but not a sufficient one, such as a reference to "Titus ho epikaloumenos Timotheos" would be. I find the thesis implausible in part because there is no clear equation but agree that it merits examination and am glad to see it receiving such on the list.

Jeff Peterson

Jeffrey Peterson
Wright Associate Professor of New Testament
Austin Graduate School of Theology
Austin, Texas