corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] exegetical issues in 1 Cor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Justin K. Hardin" <jkh26 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] exegetical issues in 1 Cor
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:41:57 +0100

Title: Re: [Corpus-Paul] exegetical issues in 1 Cor
I wondered if you have looked at Bruce Winter's After Paul Left Corinth, which approaches many of these interpretative issues (sophistry and Paul's 'weak' delivery, social mobility, law-suits, head covering, and others) by utilising G-R backgrounds.  I have found it a very helpful monograph.

Hope this helps,
Justin

Greetings all,

have posted in an age.

I am currently preparing for a course on 1 Cor in Greek for next semester
(Tyndale College, Sydney).  The commentaries are Garland (Baker) and Hodge.
I have been compiling some simple questions to ask of the text.  I am
interested in any other issues people are aware of, as well as any
references - i.e. commentaries, papers, etc that raise/discuss these issues.
I have access to a theological library (Ridley College, Melbourne):

1. what was the nature of the Corinthian division?  theological,
socioeconomic?
2. is the background to wisdom mythological or theological
3. what were the Corinthians taking each other to court for (cpt 6)
4. do the English trans of cpt 7 hide Pauline permission for the divorced to
remarry (see Ward Powers' Marriage and Divorce in the NT)
5. is Paul "down on marriage"?
6. how often is Paul actually quoting his opponents?  e.g. 7.1, 8.1
7. what does it mean to have been baptised into Moses (10.2)?
8. is the head covering hair?  cpt 11
9. what is the nature of tongues (Gundry's JTS article)
10. what is prophesy as Paul discusses it (and is it for today)?
11. what was baptism for the dead?
12. what is Paul's view of women in the church (cpt 11 cf 14.34-5)?
13. does 1 Cor 15 teach an intermediate state?  what is its relationship to
rest of letter?

Some of these may be trivial?  Maybe not.

Cheers

Mick...