corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] (no subject)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] (no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:03:12 -0400

Rabbi,
when you say "because the incompetency of the law was part of God's salvation-historical plan of laying Sin upon His Son" it seems to suggest that God deceived Israel with the law. The law could never do it, but God gave it to Israel anyway just so he could show them they couldn't do it. The picture one thus gets of this sort of God is not very positive. As someone has already noted, the god you posit is himself incompetent if he cannot act competently in the giving of law. Further, if he meant for people to be incapable of doing what he said he is nothing less than cruel (as though you were to tell your child to do something you knew was impossible and then punished him for it!!!!!!). Is this the way you read Paul or is this what Paul actually thought? In my view you are reading Paul through the lenses of Luther who indeed saw Law as God's method of condemning Israel; but in this regard Luther was wrong. I would recommend Sander's "Paul and the Law" to disabuse you of your luther-lensed-anti-paul-reading-of-the-text.

best

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros