corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] partition theories and copying practices

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] partition theories and copying practices
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 07:48:06 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

"Ian W. Scott" <iscott2 AT uwo.ca> wrote:
>I am teaching on partition theories in 2 Cor and Phil over the next little
>while and have realized that in most of my own reading there is little
>discussion of the actual process by which letters would be stripped of their
>epistolary introductions and then attached to other letters. Of course, this
>could be a deliberate procedure, but in that case I am unclear about the
>motive for doing it. In particular, I am wondering whether any list members
>know of evidence from the broader Greco-Roman world for this kind of
>dislocation in the ordinary process of scribal transmission. What I am
>thinking of is not simply places in other Greek writings which are thought
>be displaced, but e.g. references to such displacement or to scribal
>practices
>which would explain it.

There is some scholarship on the editing of Cicero's letters.
Trobisch, PAUL'S LETTER COLLECTION, cites Karl Büchner,
"M. Tullius Cicero: Briefe," PRE 2.13 (1939), 1192-1235, as
a source of his information. I haven't checked the reference,
so standard disclaimers apply.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson,