corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] RE: son of man

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] RE: son of man
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:10:37 -0500

Tony Costa says:

>>I can see ANQRWPOS having a reference to Adam in LXX Gen 1-3 (and also the
passages in Ezekiel), however the "son of man" used in Mark 14:62 is the
apocalyptic son of man of Daniel 7:13 and a divine figure. I think at this
point and context it differs from the idea of a plain human being like
Adam.<<

There seems to be an interplay here between the HP's question in Mk 14:61
("son of the blessed [one]")and J's reply in vs 62 ("son of man"), although
it is not very clear to me what the significance is supposed to be.

I don't know if s.o.m. *has* to be a divine figure, just one who is
presented before the Ancient of Days, who gives him an everlasting kingdom
that encompasses the entire world. This "son of man" could be a human being.
It is the *kingdom* he is given that is everlasting, but not necessarily is
*he* everlasting, unless some property of this new kingdom changes the
normal cycle of birth and death.

This latter is what we like to assume today, supported by our interpretation
that there is a connection between the resurrection language of Dan 12:2 and
Dan 9 in general. However, Dan 9 may mean nothing more than the Jewish
nation would reign supreme over all other nations from that point onward in
history, with people being born and dying as usual. If there is a
connection, and it may well be so, there would be a general resurrection and
a judgement involved, but I have to wonder whether the word *many* could not
also signify the special (even extraordinary) reward or punishment of a
*certain* subset of "sleeping" persons who were significant in Jewish
history (e.g., Abraham, the Patriarchs, Moses, various kings good and bad,
Ant. Epiphanes, etc).

In either case, one *like* a son of man (a human being) is given an eternal
kingdom.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

RSV Mark 14:61 But he was silent and made no answer. Again the high priest
asked him, "Are you the Christ, the *Son of the Blessed*?" 62 And Jesus
said, "I am; and you will see the *Son of man* seated at the right hand of
Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."

RSV Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of
heaven there came one like a *son of man*, and he came to the Ancient of
Days and was presented before him. 14 And to him was given dominion and
glory and kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve
him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and
his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

RSV Daniel 12:2 And *many* of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall
awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.