corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Morna Hooker on the Law

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Morna Hooker on the Law
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:19:02 +0100

Since Morna Hooker's new book on Paul has been mentioned on the list,
I wonder if I could ask a question? On p. 44, she comments as
follows:

"The letter to the Galatians gives us some insight into why Paul's
conversion -- his conviction that God had indeed raised Jesus from
the dead, and that he was indeed the Messiah - was so inextricably
bound up in his mind with his commission to be the apostle to the
Gentiles. Jesus had suffered a death which branded him as a
lawbreaker, and an offence to God. Yet God himself had vindicated
him, raising him from the dead and so recognizing him as righteous.
There could be no clearer demonstration of the fact that
righteousness before God -- that is, being in a right relationship
with God -- does not depend on obedience to the law."

I'm not sure that I agree with this. Would Paul have seen the cross
in this way? Wouldn't Paul have seen the resurrection as God's
vindication of Jesus' own righteousness? And if so, it is not
straighforward to see how Paul could have made the inference that
Hooker thinks he made here, is it? Part of the difficulty is that
the paragraph above is a bit terse; does Hooker spell this out in
any more detail elsewhere?

Thanks
Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
Birmingham B15 2TT UK

http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
http://NTGateway.com