corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Paul and house churches

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Lareta Finger" <lfinger AT messiah.edu>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and house churches
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:43:46 -0400

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:28:34 -0400
From: criticaltom AT juno.com
Subject: Re: Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul
To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

When teaching Paul to High Schoolers I consulted this list and was great
helped by Dr. Reta Finger. Her book on the Pauline House Churches made
for a wonderful interactive learning experience. It is based largely on
Romans, which is what most Pauline studes are based upon anyway. By
making people in the group assume different aspects of the early church,
it made them more interested in the issues involved and also made
discussion easier and more productive. She should receive greater
recognition for her work.

also, the book by Cousar is recommended.

Dr. Finger, if you are reading this, when will you do one on the
Corinthian house churches (hint, hint, nod, nod, wink, wink)?

Tom Edmondson

Thanks for your good words, Tom Edmondson. I'm glad it worked. The book is
PAUL AND THE ROMAN HOUSE CHURCHES: A SIMULATION (Herald Press, 1993). Once
again this spring I used this text for a 4-week unit in my Introduction to
Biblical Studies Course with college freshmen. Each student plays a
character in one of the Roman house churches, and debates Paul's letter
section by section from his/her perspective as a Jew or gentile, poor or
less-poor, slave, freed, or free. When students get into it, they seem to
really enjoy it. One student wrote on his exam that this unit was by far
the most interesting of his entire freshman year.

I'm itching to write another simulation for 1 Corinthians--what juicy
topics!--but am presently working on another book on communal meals in Acts.
Reta Halteman Finger