corpus-paul - Re: Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:05:14 +0100

On 27 Jun 2003 at 20:10, Noel Fitzpatrick wrote:

> (1) E.P. Sanders' "Paul: A Very Short Introduction" (Oxford University
> Press, Oxford, first published as an OUP paperback 1991, first
> published as A Very Short Introduction, 2001, 165 pages).
>
> (2) David Horrell's "An Introduction to the Study of Paul" (Continuum,
> London & New York, 2000, 144 pages).

I'd like to second these. First, the Sanders paperback gives the
students the chance to engage with the lucidly presented ideas of the
most important player in the field. Second, Horrell's book is ideal
because it is an introduction to the "study of" Paul. So unlike many
of the other introductions mentioned it canvasses key scholarly views
on key topics. I told my 2nd / 3rd year undergraduate group this
year that in some ways Horrell's book was too good -- it presents
nice succinct studies of the key topics as if writing model essays
for them, at which stage they all dashed out and bought it! But
seriously, it hasn't had a lot of publicity that I've seen and I
think that's a shame for such a useful book.

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
Birmingham B15 2TT UK

http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
http://NTGateway.com