corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:48:51 -0400

Perry L. Stepp asks:

>>Anyway: I've chosen most of my materials, but I'm still looking for some
kind of introduction to Paul (or an introduction to the early church, even)
that I can have my students write a critical evaluation of.

It needs to be a. NOT a commentary, b. in print, c. cheap, d. evangelical to
conservative/centrist in approach, e. short, and f. simple enough for
hyper-hormonal eighteen- and nineteen-year-olds to read and evaluate.<<

How about E. P. Sander's _Paul_ from Oxford UP's "Past Masters" series?
Under $10 (US), with a little about his mission, life, strategy, message and
eight key points of the theology found in the letters.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=36BS1VADM
Y&isbn=0192854518&itm=1

When it comes to Paul, Sanders probably more "centrist" in his views than
anything, in spite of his contributions to the "new perspective."
Personally, I felt he treated the historical details in Acts as if equal in
value to those found in the undisputed letters, but there is little that the
average college undergrad could not comprehend. Remembering, of course, is
something entirely different!

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA