corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Perry L Stepp <plstepp AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:33:34 -0500

Hello, all. I'm teaching a 1000-level class this fall on Acts and the
epistles--it's part 2 of an NT intro, the first part being Jesus and the
gospels, which I'm NOT teaching.

Anyway: I've chosen most of my materials, but I'm still looking for some
kind of introduction to Paul (or an introduction to the early church,
even) that I can have my students write a critical evaluation of.

It needs to be a. NOT a commentary, b. in print, c. cheap, d. evangelical
to conservative/centrist in approach, e. short, and f. simple enough for
hyper-hormonal eighteen- and nineteen-year-olds to read and evaluate.

What I have in mind would be something like Barclay's *Mind of St. Paul*,
or Bruce's *Apostle of the Heart Set Free*, although both are probably
too long and (I think) out of print. Longenecker had something like
this--*Apostle of Freedom* (?, is that the title, and is it still in
print?) Or something NT Wright has published under Tom Wright?

Any suggestions?

Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Biblical Studies, Kentucky Christian College

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!