corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Junia/s

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Junia/s
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:28:57 -0700

Bernadette Brooten writes: "John Chrysostom was not alone in the ancient
church in taking the name [Junia] to be feminine. The earliest commentator
on Romans 16:7, Origen of Alexandria (c. 185-253/54), took the name to be
feminine (Junta or Julia, which is a textual variant), as did Jerome, Hatto
of Vercelli, Theophylact (c.1050-c.1108), and Peter Abelard (1079-1142). In
fact, to the best of my knowledge, no commentator on the text until Aegidius
of Rome (1245-1316) took the name to be masculine."

Bernadette Brooten, Women Priests, 1977

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +