corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Junia/s

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Licia Kuenning <Licia AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Junia/s
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 00:52:13 -0400

Has anyone any insight on Romans 16:7, where Paul greets
Andronicus and Junia(s), as to whether the last named was
male or female? And if female, was she Andronicus' wife?
Chrysostom assumes this person was a woman; I am not
aware of any earlier commentary on the question. I have
seen it argued that Chrysostom's view should be accepted
as the earliest testimony on the subject; I've also seen it
argued that a woman would not have been called an apostle.

Licia Kuenning