corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Junia/s

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Junia/s
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:14:40 -0500

Licia Kuenning wrote:

> Has anyone any insight on Romans 16:7, where Paul greets
> Andronicus and Junia(s), as to whether the last named was
> male or female? And if female, was she Andronicus' wife?
> Chrysostom assumes this person was a woman; I am not
> aware of any earlier commentary on the question. I have
> seen it argued that Chrysostom's view should be accepted
> as the earliest testimony on the subject; I've also seen it
> argued that a woman would not have been called an apostle.

This is a topic that has been discussed (several times, I believe) on
B-Greek, with the relevant arguments and citations of literature set out
there. You might wish to search that List's archives under the heading
of Junia or Junias .

B-Greek archives (and a description of the nature and purpose of that
List) may be found at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/index.html

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson