corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul, an apostle, not from humans nor through a human?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: criticaltom AT juno.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul, an apostle, not from humans nor through a human?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 07:41:48 -0500

I hope this doesn't sound too amateur. I appreciate your tolerance if
so.

Anyway, is it too far off to theorize--if only for that sake--that some
of Paul's opponents, either in Galatian and/or in Corinth, are actually
believers in Jesus who proclaim the gospel in a manner similar to the
mysteries? What I mean is, could it be that circumcision, kosher food
laws, and the other "works of the law" were seen as rites of initiation
or fuller expressions of faith? I guess this sounds something like a
Jewish/Gnostic, or protognostic thing. Has it already been discussed,
refuted?

Tom Edmondson