corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Once more, Paul and apo/dia anthropon/ou

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Matthew Baldwin <baldwin AT apocryphum.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Once more, Paul and apo/dia anthropon/ou
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:28:03 -0500

I just wanted to correct myself... re-reading my earlier post, I realized
that
I stated that representatives from Jerusalem had been in Galatia claiming
that
Paul was their subordinate. That is a possible reading of the text but may
not
be the most probable. I don't think Mark N. believes it was Jerusalem
representatives in Galatia (or am I wrong, Mark?).

However, I think it is very probable, given the course of Paul's argument in
Gal 1-2, that the "hoi tarrasontes humas" who bring the as-if "heteron
euangelion" were undermining Paul's authority to teach by his own authority
through making the charge that he was subordinate to the Jerusalem apostles.
Who else would they have charged that he was subordinate to? And if this
wasn't the charge, why does Paul then go out of his way to emphasize the
non-supervisory role which the Jerusalem Pillars have played in his career?
Paul's majesterial opening lines to this letter would refute such a charge
before it is made, and might at the same time turn a related charge back upon
the opponents: dependence upon some kind of human or human traditions (or at
any rate, upon a "second", a mediator, e.g. the angel-ordained Torah, where
God
is "one").

So I concurr that the rhetoric is offensive, but dispute the claim that the
reader understands human/s=Jerusalem apostles equation directly from Paul's
comments; ANY human mediation of Paul's gospel is denied; even Paul's own
role
as a human mediator is denied in the statement. The Jerusalem pillars are
only
some of the humans whose authority over Paul is denied in the statement; i.e.
they are a subset of "humans," they do not comprise the whole category.

--

Matthew Charles Baldwin
P.O. Box 1927