corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Corpus-Paul digest, Vol 1 #21 - 7 msgs: RE Mark Goodacre, Thorn in Paul's flesh-

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: pemmett AT csulb.edu (Patrick Emmett)
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Corpus-Paul digest, Vol 1 #21 - 7 msgs: RE Mark Goodacre, Thorn in Paul's flesh-
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:54:20 -0800 (PST)

i submitted a paper this past semester which conjectured about the thorn in
paul's flesh. My thesis, BASED mainly on Paul's behavior b oth before and
after Damascus, but also on studies done in the 30s by Pfister, and James'
Varieties of Religious Experience, claims that the thorn was actually
Paul's metaphor for what would now be referred to as an obsessive
compulsion, which was only partially treated by his supposed meeting with
the resurrected Christ, and that this illness had a strong influence on
Paul's part in establishing Christianity. The paper has been well received
so far, and if you would like to know more about it, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick Emmmett
Religious Studies
CSULB

  • [Corpus-Paul] Re: Corpus-Paul digest, Vol 1 #21 - 7 msgs: RE Mark Goodacre, Thorn in Paul's flesh-, Patrick Emmett, 01/12/2003