corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Third heaven

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Don Garlington <dongarlington AT yahoo.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Third heaven
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:38:06 -0800 (PST)

Dear Mark,

I'm afraid I don't have any literature at hand.
However, I have found suggestive the proposal that
'thorn' is an allusion to Gen 3.18, where 'thorns and
thistles' symbolize the powers of chaos that will once
again overtake the creation. This seems to make sense
in light of Paul's further characterization of the
thorn as a 'messenger of Satan'. Of course, this is
very general and says little about Paul's particular
ailment. I wonder if anyone has considered the
possibility of a link with Luke 22.31, according to
which, Peter was to be handed over to Satan for
'sifting'.

I should think it worth the while to explore the
possibility of a 'thorn motif' in the Second Temple
lit. (maybe someone has).

Yours,

Don
Toronto