corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Third heaven

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Doug C" <archy AT clara.co.uk>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Third heaven
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:04:28 -0000

Hi Mark,
As far as I know even conservative commentators don't make this
identification but dismiss it fairly firmly (eg Ralph Martin in his Word
Commentary). I suppose the firmest internal argument against the
identification is that Paul is fairly clear that what he was given in
his "conversion" experience, his call to apostleship, was something he
could clearly speak of, whereas this is explicitly about mysteries he
cannot speak.
As far as the skolops goes: I've never seen an interpretation that
hasn't seemed like guesswork, based on some larger theory about Paul.
I've sometimes wondered if he knew, or even alludes to, Aesop's fable of
Androcles, but that's unproveable (and maybe fanciful). I have no idea
whether a careful reading of medical texts might point to a clue, but
suspect there's not enough extant material to do that work.
The metaphor would, I think, suggest the kind of sharp or burning pain
associated with a foreign body being inserted and causing inflammation,
which would probably rule out suggestions such as epilepsy or blindness,
but beyond that, I suspect we have only guesswork.

Doug Chaplin
archy AT clara.co.uk