corpus-paul - Re: Favorite Book

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Billy Evans <biblewje AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Favorite Book
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:25:36 -0500

on 10/11/02 12:22 PM, Noel Fitzpatrick at njfitzpatrick AT eircom.net wrote:

> Dear Colleague
>
> some time ago I asked list members to suggest favourite commentaries for
> the
> various letter/epistles of Paul. I was very interested in the replies.
>
> Now would subscribers like to suggest a favourite book concerning Paul,
> that
> is NOT a commentary per se? The book may be one being currently read,
> which
> subscribers particularly like, or, alternatively, one that had a
> significant
> influence on their understanding of Paul.
>
> I suggest J. Louis Martyn "Theological Issues in the Letters of Paul", T &
> Clark, Edinburgh, 1997.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Noel J Fitzpatrick.
>
> **********************************
> Noel Fitzpatrick
> 16 Granville Park
> Blackrock
> Co Dublin
> Ireland
>
> Phone: 353 1 2893851

> $subst('Email.Unsub')
Dear Noel

I spoke with Dr. Martyn a few weeks ago by the way: he has a new book coming
out this year but I believe he said it was on Paul. Anyway, I have three
books on Paul that one should read:

1. the watershed work of E P Sanders, Paul and Palestinian Judaism.
Fortress, 1977.

2. Paul, the Law, and the Jewish People, by E P Sanders. Fortress, 1983.

3. Jesus, Paul, and the Law: Studies in Mark and Galatians by James D G
Dunn. Westminster, 1990

Perhaps this provides you with a choice. Anyway, enjoy

--
William "Billy" J Evans Jr-Nashville
Doctorate Rabbinics, Dead Sea Scrolls, Targums at Hebrew Union College