corpus-paul - Re: Paul and homosexuality?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and homosexuality?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:55:07 +0100

Bob MacDonald:
> I wonder if you have come across Gary Thorne from Halifax (St
George's) - a
> very good friend doing doctoral work at Durham.

No. I live in New Jersey now.

> Is there a corresponding charism in the First covenant, I wonder?

The Nazirite vow (temporary or permanent).
No wine, no grapes, no barbers, no buildings.

> sex is not [Paul']s moral concern - abuse of sex is among his moral
concerns
> because such abuse is always an abuse of a relationship with another
made in
> the image of God.

That's an example of a kind of statement that can (hopefully)
be appreciated by both ascetics and non-ascetics.

> [P]urity ... includes not violating any relationships (leave
> your gift at the altar and be reconciled to your brother first)

Alright. A spiritualized definition of purity, but that's fine.
(By "spiritualized," here, I mean a reinterpretation of the
original meaning of a word, to give it more inward and
ethical meaning.)

> The greater gifts are subject to greater distortions.

Alright.

> Bob: I understand Nanos's position to be that Paul intended a
continuing
> distinction of Jew and gentile in post-Christ Israel....

If it is possible, I take a position halfway between Nanos and Maccoby
on this. I think Paul did reduce the importance of Jewish
observances,
but probably did continue to follow them himself (as Acts claims).
But
I don't have the time for along debate on this subject!

> In a nearby diocese, divisions multiply over perceived purity issues
related
> to human sexual behaviour.

Well, you've already articulated a spiritually worthwhile
concept of purity above. (Not that that makes it easy to
deal with the details of arguments like that one.)

Finlan
U Durham
but really in NJ
go figya