corpus-paul - Re: Paul and homosexuality?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and homosexuality?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:26:14 +0100

Perry S wrote:
> Rather Freudian, this. How silly of me not to realize that when
> Paul refers to the commandment against coveting that he's really
> thinking of sex ! ! ...

> [Sex] would have been one aspect of their understanding of
"flesh," "passions,"

Yes, and probably the most important, since it is so
much what is on men's minds (not just in the 20th
century), and it so vividly embodies selfishness
and lawlessness for Philo, for the Testaments of
the 12 Patriarchs, and also, I think, for Paul.

> Paul's "vice lists" certainly
> aren't limited to sexual sin.

Of course not. Who would make such a claim?

Stephen Finlan
University of Durham