corpus-paul - Re: Paul's lies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rick Carr" <carr AT ti.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's lies
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:03:27 -0400

Loren,

Whether or not lying is honorable in a honor-shame society as you suggest,
I can not say. But I can not agree with you when you say,

"And to lie in the service of God himself -- as Paul claims he does in Rom
3:7…"

Why must this statement be taken as an admission that Paul in fact lied?
Moreover how can this statement be taken to suggest that it is something
Paul is proud of or that it is somehow honorable to lie in the service of
God.

I think it is better to understand Paul as saying, "even though I fail,
God will not. He can even use my sin, my lies to bring about his glory."
But this is far from suggesting that he thought his lies were acceptable
to God.

In the next verse Paul is upset about some that apparently are lying about
him. But why if lying is somehow honorable, or even understandable?

Perhaps I don't understand the issue?

Rick Carr
Dallas, Texas