corpus-paul - Re: Questions about Roman prisons

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Questions about Roman prisons
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:04:01 -0500

PBellanboy AT aol.com wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm looking for a little research help. I've found a fair amount of
> literature which talks about imprisonment, including prison conditions. But
> have found almost nothing on the physical settings and architecture of
> prisons/carcer. The only source I've found to even mention this is B.M.
> Rapske's article in the Dictionary of New Testament Background, with a brief
> mention of the prisons in Rome, and a description of the state prison as
> having an upper structure plus an underground death cell (Tullianum). But
> I'm
> not sure how well this would correspond to the cities of Asia Minor. I'm
> particularly interested to know where in a city might a carcer be located?
> Visible? Prominent? Or tucked away in a back street?

To my knowledge, the best and most complete treatment of the issues you raise
is now to
be found in Brian Rapske's _Paul in Roman Custody_ (Vol. 3 of the series _The
Book of
Acts in Its First Century Setting_ [Eerdmans/Paternoster, 1994).

But does the old Foakes-Jackson _Beginnings of Christianity_ or even the old
Hastings
DB have anything on this?

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson