corpus-paul - Questions about Roman prisons

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: PBellanboy AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Questions about Roman prisons
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:42:43 EDT

Greetings!

I'm looking for a little research help. I've found a fair amount of
literature which talks about imprisonment, including prison conditions. But I
have found almost nothing on the physical settings and architecture of
prisons/carcer. The only source I've found to even mention this is B.M.
Rapske's article in the Dictionary of New Testament Background, with a brief
mention of the prisons in Rome, and a description of the state prison as
having an upper structure plus an underground death cell (Tullianum). But I'm
not sure how well this would correspond to the cities of Asia Minor. I'm
particularly interested to know where in a city might a carcer be located?
Visible? Prominent? Or tucked away in a back street?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Paul Bellan-Boyer
Union Theological Seminary
(3rd year M.Div with just a Galatians class to go)