corpus-paul - Re: Dating 1 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Karl P. Donfried" <kdonfrie AT email.smith.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating 1 Thessalonians
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:17:35 -0400

You might want to take a look at the article on "NT Chronology" -
section on Paul - for a listing of the alternatives. You might also
want to take a look at pp. 9ff in K. P. Donfried & I. Howard Marshall,
THE THEOLOGY OF THE SHORTER PAULINE LETTERS, where the issue of the
early dating of 1 Thessalonians is discussed.

Karl Donfried

David Inglis wrote:

> Way back in November 2000 Richard Fellows wrote:
> > On Nov 6th Mark Nanos wrote:
> > <<I am far from convinced by the arguments of which I am aware for dating
> > 1
> > Thess. first, or even early, simply on the basis of how the letter seems
> > me to read.>>
> >
> > We will probably never know with certainty, but I prefer to place 1 Thess.
> > towards the start of the so-called third missionary journey. The visit to
> > Athens in 1 Thess 3.1 might well correspond to the sorrowful visit to
> > Achaia to which Paul alludes in 2 Cor 2.1; 12.14; 13.2.
> >
> > The conventional (early) dating of 1 Thess. is very difficult to reconcile
> > with the movements of Silas and Timothy in Acts 17.13-15. Also, 1 Thess
> > 1.8, which talks about the fame of the Thessalonians everywhere, seems to
> > favour a later date.
> >
> > Why, then, is there such a consensus for the earlier date? It has often
> > puzzled me.
>
> Was this post ever answered? I haven't seen any replies. In any case,
> I'm sure there are a whole new bunch of listers with valid arguments. As
> I agree with Richard Fellows that a later date for 1 Thess seems much more
> likely (IMHO during Paul's 3rd journey), why is there "such a consensus
> for the earlier date?"
>
> Dave Inglis
> david AT colonialcommerce.com
> 3538 O'Connor Drive
> Lafayette, CA, USA
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: kdonfrie AT smith.edu

Karl P. Donfried
Elizabeth A. Woodson Professor
of Religion and Biblical Literature
Neilson Library A10
Smith College
Northampton, MA 01063

kdonfrie AT smith.edu
413 585-3669 (phone)
413 256-6202 (fax)

NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may
be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this
Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any
disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action
taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be
unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.