corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Torah observance

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Torah observance
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:29:42 -0600

on 1/8/02 3:26 PM, Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D. at smcginn AT jcu.edu wrote:

> Mark, are you suggesting that when Paul says it is the "weak" who are
> worried
> about
> whether or not they eat meat sacrificed to idols (which, presumably, means
> it
> is not
> kosher), that he is including himself in this category? In other words, do
> you really
> believe Paul kept all the laws of kosher? SEMcGinn

Hi Sheila,
Just back to reply to your posts. Some have argued that Paul includes
himself among the weak in this Corinthian case. I am not so sure about that;
he is not in Corinth and seems to me to be pretty surprised by a lot of
developments among these people. Just back from a conf. on Corinth actually;
what an interesting place and textual artifact addressing people there.

But as for your second question, yes, I believe Paul kept all the laws of
kosher (recognizing that this is not a uniform code for everyone everywhere
at every moment--he would be a rigorous example in the area of dietary
regulations I believe, and his communities would understand him to behave in
that manner. The question of his letters is about what is appropriate for
non-Jews if they are being told to remain non-Jews yet not behave like
non-Jews...).

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
313 NE Landings Dr.

  • Re: Paul's Torah observance, Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D., 01/08/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Paul's Torah observance, Mark D. Nanos, 01/13/2002