corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Torah observance

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <"(sheila e. mcginn) smcginn"@jcu.edu>
  • Cc: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Torah observance
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 16:26:25 -0500

Mark, are you suggesting that when Paul says it is the "weak" who are worried
about
whether or not they eat meat sacrificed to idols (which, presumably, means it
is not
kosher), that he is including himself in this category? In other words, do
you really
believe Paul kept all the laws of kosher? SEMcGinn

"Mark D. Nanos" wrote:

> ... as though it reverses all that I have found in Romans and Galatians,
> which
> suggest to me Paul is Torah-observant as a matter of faith. ... it is easy
> (for me)
> to see that the non-Jews to whom Paul wrote, if they know him to be fully
> Torah
> observant, would not understand him to be claiming otherwise. ...

begin:vcard
n:McGinn, Ph.D.;Sheila E.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.jcu.edu/bible/mcginn/
org:John Carroll University;Religious Studies
adr:;;20700 N. Park Blvd.;University Heights;OH;44118;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor of Biblical Studies & Early Christianity
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard

  • Re: Paul's Torah observance, Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D., 01/08/2002