corpus-paul - Re: Paul the Sadducee

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul the Sadducee
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:39:40 +0100

I have explored the relationship between Paul and the (Sadducee) High Priest
in my book THE MYTHMAKER (HarperSanFrancisco/Barnes & Noble). Here I argue
in full that Paul did belong for a time to the Pharisee movement, but left
it to take up service with the Sadducee High Priest, for whom he performed
the task of persecuting the Early Church ,with whom, as you say, the
Pharisees were in sympathy. This, I argue, is shown particularly in Acts
5, Gamaliel's defence of Peter, though the author of Acts conceals the fact
that Gamaliel was not just a lone voice but the leader of the whole Pharisee
movement.

Hyam Maccoby

Research Professor
Centre for Jewish Studies