corpus-paul - Re: Paul the Sadducee

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul the Sadducee
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:09:33 -0500

on 8/23/01 10:33 AM, Stephen D. Carter at carters AT cookman.edu wrote:

> I am exploring the possibility that Saul (Paul) was in fact a member of
> the High Priest's party of Sadducees. In brief, his activities as a
> persecutor of the "Church" are explainable on these grounds rather than
> being a Pharisee. I understand the Pharisees to have been sympathetic to
> the followers of Jesus and to have defended them in trial. Does anyone
> have suggestions as to research.

Stephen,
I suggest that research into the political dynamics of Judea and into the
role of these groups will lead to questioning the bifurcation upon which
your suggestion is based. There is no need to question that which Paul says
in Phil. 3 about having been a Pharisee (also implied in Gal. 1, and in
Luke's portrait in Acts). Pharisaism was diverse (it is not helpful to
imagine uniformity of opposition or support, but diversity and change from
person/group to person/group and situation to situation), and some Pharisees
were involved in the kind of political activities that are commonly
attributed only to Sadducees. See the relevant material on these groups
(esp. Saldarini, Pharisees, Scribes and Sadducees in Palestinean Society),
and works such as Martin Goodman, The Ruling Class of Judea. Also read
Josephus's Life, and what he has to say about the ruling establishment
(these secondary sources will provide the relevant citations).

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.