corpus-paul - Oracles as Proof in Classical Sources?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark E. Roberts" <mroberts AT oru.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Oracles as Proof in Classical Sources?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:38:03 -0500

Mark E. Roberts
mroberts AT oru.edu
V: 918-495-6899
F: 918-495-6662
5202 E. 93rd St.
Tulsa, OK 74137

In my study of 2 Corinthians 10--13, I am curious about how
Paul's climaxing his valorization of weakness with the
divine oracle of 12.9 compares with classical rhetorical
practice. Because my quick survey of secondary literature
uncovered nothing about the rhetoric of divine oracles, I
suspect that classical orators and writers did not depend on
this specific inartistic proof for their strongest proof
within extended argument.
I am therefore asking for confirmation or disconfirmation of
my suspicion: Are there significant occurrences of divine
oracles used as substantive proof in classical rhetorical
discourses? Are there any studies of, or including, this
topic?
Many thanks.
Mark E. Roberts
mroberts AT oru.edu

  • Oracles as Proof in Classical Sources?, Mark E. Roberts, 08/23/2001