corpus-paul - RE: Verse epic of Paul's vision

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Verse epic of Paul's vision
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:10:18 -0400

Moisés Mayordomo asked:

>>I have received some vague information about a french verse-epic
from the 13th century relating Paul's damascus vision, which goes back
to a greek original from the 4th century. I have looked some
commentaries but found nothing. I only know of some latin verse-epics
which have pauline material (Arator and Sedulius). It may be that the
information (from a student of german language) is not correct, but in
any case that some of you has any idea what texts might be in view or
might indicate me to some literature I would welcome any
information.<<

Moisés,

Wasn't the _Vision/Apocalypse of Paul_, which is datable to 388 CE,
popular throughout the middle ages? The short introduction to it in
_Ante-Nicene Fathers_, vol X, pg 149 (Eerdman's reprint) mentions an
authority, by last name only, which I could not track down, "Brandes
(Halle, 1885), in his edition of two shorter Latin versions ... 'gives
particulars of French, English, Danish, and Slavonic forms of the
legend.'" A more up-to-date bibliography is in _New Testament
Apocrypha_ (W. Schneemelcher, E.T. by McL. Wilson) vol 2 pp 712-716,
but I was unable to find a reference to a French verse-epic form of
the vision.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA