corpus-paul - names...

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ntsearcher AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: names...
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:59:43 EDT

Since a thread has begun again on names, I'd like to throw this one out for
those who have not yet responded to it.

1. is there any scholarly evidence that shows/supports that Epaphras and
Ephraditus were the same person?

2. Aristarchus, mentioned in Colossians 4:10-11, appears to have been a Jew
based on the reading of some of the newer versions. I do not read Greek, so
my question is: does the construction in the original support the idea that
perhaps Paul is NOT calling him a Jew. It is my understanding that
Aristarchus is a Gentile name (?).

3. A Gaius is mentioned in 19:29, but it is said (in the KJV) that he was
from Macedonia. But Gaius from Derbe is mentioned as being with Paul (Acts
20). My question: are there mss. that would support the idea that Gaius in
Acts 19 is the Gaius from Derbe?

Any insight here would be valued.

Frank Anthony

  • names..., Ntsearcher, 08/03/2001