corpus-paul - Introducing Myself

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Mike.Conley AT t-online.de (Mike Conley)
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Introducing Myself
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 10:26:10 +0200

My name popped up recently by mistake as I attempted to collate your
several contributions to Corpus-paul, but pushed the wrong button. This
time I'm sending
Purposely (modified, shortened).

Very briefly to my person: PhD (1960) in History from the Ohio State
University, Columbus Ohio; Have worked for governmental agency in the
U.S.A. and in Germany; Became a German citizen in 1975; Am Retired and
have spent well over a decade in research and writing, recently
completing work on a volume entitled "Scenario: Nascent Christianity
Emerges."

At Dave Hindley's urging (He didn't have to push all that much), I'd
call your attention to two articles that appeared in the Fall 2000 (Vol.
7, No. 2) of the JHC, one of them by me, but equally important, one by
Hermann Detering who has figured prominently in this site's
communications. His "The Synoptic Apocalypse (Mark 13 par): a document
from the Time of Bar Kochba" argues for a date in the second century for
at least portions of the Gospel of Mark and from my point of view, his
argument constitutes the decisive statement on this matter.

But beyond that, for those of you who read German, I can't urge you too
much to turn to his web site: www.radikalkritik.de The significance of
this site goes far beyond the lessor, immediate German community in its
importance. See Hermann Detering's "Der Galaterbrief in seiner
urspruenglichen Gestalt," his "Die Gegner des Paulus im Galaterbrief,"
and very, very important, his: "Marcion - Peregrinus," the most
important statement on this matter since Harnack and Detering's own
Gefaelschter Paulus."

The other article referred to above is entitled "St. Ignatius: the
Insidious Pragmatism of the Episkopoi of Rome and the Rise of
Christianity" in which I argue that the success of the Christianoi,
among the multitude of pseudo-christian sects of the second and third
century was the result, not of `the hand of God,' but of the extremities
to which the Episkopoi of Rome were willing to go in their frontal
competition with their adversaries, among them, of course, the
Marcionites.

Now I'm sure that Hermann Detering has a file containing his article as
translated into English, but I'll leave the initiative in such matters
to him. As for my article, I'm prepared to e-mail it to anyone in the
group who indicates an interest. Indeed, I'd submit it to the Corpus
Paul in tact, i.e. the whole Shebang, 42 pages, but for my lack of
chutzpah.

Beyound this, I've written my own piece on Marcion and St. Paulus,
available in German in Hermann Detering's website, and available per
e-mail to those so interested in English

With kind regards to my List contemporaries,

Mike Conley

  • Introducing Myself, Mike Conley, 08/03/2001