corpus-paul - Re: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 18:01:12 -0400

Note:

When I say 1 Clement quotes Matt, Mark or Luke, I mean it has passages
that seem to conflate parts of those gospel texts, or offer an
alternative tradition (or both). Examples are

1 Clem. 13 ... the words of the Lord Jesus which He spake, teaching us
meekness and long-suffering. For thus He spoke: "Be ye merciful, that
ye may obtain mercy (Luk 6:36); forgive, that it may be forgiven to
you (Mat 6:14); as ye do, so shall it be done unto you; as ye judge,
so shall ye be judged (Matt 7:2a); as ye are kind, so shall kindness
be shown to you; with what measure ye mete, with the same it shall be
measured to you (Mat 7:2b/Luk 6:38b)."

1 Clem. 1 Clem. 41: ... Remember the words of our Lord Jesus Christ,
how He said, "Woe to that man [by whom offences come] (Mat 26:24b/Mar
14:21b/Luk 22:22; Luk 17:1b)! It were better for him that he had never
been born (Mat 26:24/Mar 14:21c), than that he should cast a
stumbling-block before one of my elect. Yea, it were better for him
that a millstone should be hung about [his neck], and he should be
sunk in the depths of the sea (Mat 18:6b/Mar 19:42b/17:2a) than that
he should cast a stumbling-block before one of my little ones (Mat
18:6a/Mar 9:42a/Luk 17:2b)."

That should be another thread for another list. Confine my comments to
the Pauline corpus, and the apparent quotes/allusions to Acts or the
catholic epistles as being suggestive of either lateness of
composition or editorial interpolations.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA