corpus-paul - RE: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Fabrizio Palestini" <fabrizio.palestini AT tin.it>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:15:40 +0200

Dear David

Your letters offer me many linguistic problems!!

> My suggestion was that IF Marcion authored the 10
> "Pauline" epistles he published, then there should be some sort of
> consistent text, clearly conforming to Marcionite theology, embedded
> within them. I only observed that the reconstruction of Galatians does
> not seem to offer that nice neat foundation, but a hodge-podge text
> not much different than the canonical one.

> Unfortunately, I do not read German. I have to rely on _A
> RECONSTRUCTION OF MARCION'S TEXT TO THE GALATIANS_ by D. J. Mahar at:
> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/3827/Library.html

I understand German only through the aid of a dictionary, but Hermann
Detering kindly offered me an English traduction of "Der Gefalschte Paulus"
made by Darrell Doughty.
In this work Detering suggest that the so-called points of contact between
Paul and Marcion (Hilgenfeld, "Das Apostolikon Marcion's") were in fact
"marcionite bedrock, that again and again shines through from beneath the
catholic grass that grows upon it" ("Der Gefalschte Paulus", pag 136-137).
In a next posting I'll try to expose a consistent set of evidences on this
matter, and pro gentile autorship of the epistles, too.

The point is that a complete reconstruction of the text of the Epistles on
the assumption of a Marcionite autorship (the epistles being the product of
a pseudonimous debate inside and outside the marcionite churches) requires a
great amount of work and time.
I am trying to awaken the public of this (and others) mail list to the
matter, perhaps someone will be interested and will give the academic aid it
necessitates.

> But if this was Marcion's commentary added to an existing text, why
> does it get included in the orthodox version of the epistle? If
> Marcion created the whole thing, that is even more amazing, IMO. If it
> is assumed that Marcion's edition was published shortly after the
> publication of an "orthodox" version, which included the kind of
> interpretive expansions as is represented by 4:24-31, but was then
> re-edited to exclude certain pro-Judaic statements, it makes it easier
> to explain why both Marcion's and the "orthodox" version share so much
> material.

What is the problem if Marcion created the passage? (And above all what does
"IMO" mean?)
Perhaps the fact that the orthodox redacted passage seems not redacted in a
orthodox sense?
In this case I suggest that the redactor is not a modern NT scholar, he
could well not perfectly understand the passage (like me with your letter!),
or could not be able to make his point through interpolations.
If it isn't your position, excuse me but I must translate your letter into
Italian, then compare this with a Greek critical version of Pauline
Galatians, then read the Greek reconstruction of the Marcionite text made by
Detering, and finally translate his German annotations into Italian!!!
Perhaps the entire matter is beyond my possibility.

Thanks a lot for the patience
Respectfully

Fabrizio Palestini