corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:15:41 -0500

Mark,
it is not yet clear. In your translation in the following,

> > DFollowing "Let not.... Do not... but" of vv. 12-13:
> >> "For [GAR] sin will not become master of you [KURIEUSEI: fut. ind.];
> >> confirming [GAR]* you [gentiles] are not under law but under grace.

you make 6:14a confirm 6:14b. That is, the first sentence confirms
the second GAR sentence in your translation. The fact that sin will not
become master of you confirms that you are not under the law but under
grace. Perhaps I do not understand what you mean here
by "S1; confirming S2".

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

> > (1) It makes 6:14a support 6:14b. My grammar tells that
> > GAR of 6:14b should be taken to support 6:14a. Please tell me how you
> > get the above translation?
ear Mark,