corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:47:09 -0600

on 2/18/01 6:15 PM, moon-ryul jung at moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr wrote:

Moon,
What translation do you propose for 6:14b?

>> BDAG 1.c. on GAR comments that when GAR is repeated, "it occurs twice to
>> introduce several arguments for the same assertion... or to have one clause
>> confirm the other (under which BDAG includes Rom. 6:14)... or to have
>> various assertions of one and the same sentence confirmed one after the
>> other...."

Literally 6:14b seems to be: "for you are not under Law but under grace,"
following 6:14a: "for sin will not become master of you." I thought you and
I both agreed that 6:14b has the sense of: "for [even though] you are not
under law, you are under grace." Perhaps using "confirming" in the
translation is not helpful.

Both clauses of 6:14 support the point of 6:13 and the preceding argument
that these gentiles are not to let sin reign over their bodies, but
righteousness, since they now belong to God rather than sin. Even though
they are not under Law, defined as righteous ones of Law, they are defined
as righteous ones under grace. Of course so too are righteous ones under
Law, for Law is a gift demonstrating God's lovingkindness so that those of
Law belong to righteousness, not sin. Is not the point that whether under
Law or not, as those under grace the gentiles whom Paul addresses are
likewise obliged to live to God rather than sin, just like those under Law
are?

Perhaps the placement of 6:14 of BDAG under the second implication for
repeated GAR's (confirming) is not helpful, or perhaps I have not applied it
well, since it is causing this confusion in communication. Anyway, reading
your posts led me to think that we agreed about the meaning of the text
here. Perhaps a Greek expert can help us out with a way to translate and get
the sense of confirming to which BDAG refers when including 6:14 among the
verses to which this applies.

Regards,
Mark

--