corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:08:47 -0800 (PST)

[Loren]

> > In commenting on Rom. 6:14 Dunn notes, "As in
> > 5:20-21
> > the law is put together with sin and death as a
> > way of
> > characterizing the dominant powers of the old age,
> > the
> > age of Adam" (Vol I, p. 339)..."Here, for the
> > first
> > time in his letter, Paul depicts the law as a
> > power
> > over [humanity]" (p. 352). I agree with these
> > statements.

[Mark]

> Loren,
> I do not agree with those statements for 5:20-21, or
> 6:14. The law in
> 5:20-21 makes it clear what sin is. It is that
> which, thereafter, the
> traffic officer will appeal to to make it undeniable
> that you could not take
> a left turn there when writing up your ticket, since
> the law was posted on a
> sign reading, "No Left Turn." Otherwise, it might be
> disputable whether a
> left turn at that location was a violation of the
> law or not which could be
> ticketed.
>
> Sin reigned in death, not law. Law was given to help
> avoid sin for the
> righteous ones of God, by making it clear what
> was sin.

[Loren]

Mark,
Paul says in 6:14 that “sin will have no dominion over
you since you are not under the law”, implying that
“sin WILL have dominion over you if you ARE under the
law”. To me, it’s pretty clear that Paul has put the
law squarely on the side of sin/death -- and that only
in 7:7-25 does he manage to “save” the situation by
severing the link between sin/death and the law. This
may be splitting hairs, but I think it's an important
point.

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com