corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:14:38 -0600

on 1/28/01 7:30 AM, Loren Rosson at rossoiii AT yahoo.com wrote:

> Moon and Mark,
>
> Good topic, guys.
>
> In commenting on Rom. 6:14 Dunn notes, "As in 5:20-21
> the law is put together with sin and death as a way of
> characterizing the dominant powers of the old age, the
> age of Adam" (Vol I, p. 339)..."Here, for the first
> time in his letter, Paul depicts the law as a power
> over [humanity]" (p. 352). I agree with these
> statements.

Loren,
I do not agree with those statements for 5:20-21, or 6:14. The law in
5:20-21 makes it clear what sin is. It is that which, thereafter, the
traffic officer will appeal to to make it undeniable that you could not take
a left turn there when writing up your ticket, since the law was posted on a
sign reading, "No Left Turn." Otherwise, it might be disputable whether a
left turn at that location was a violation of the law or not which could be
ticketed.

Sin reigned in death, not law. Law was given to help avoid sin for the
righteous ones of God, by making it clear what was sin.

What does this function of the law have to do with what Dunn asserts?

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.