corpus-paul - RE: voluntary associations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: voluntary associations
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:19:15 -0400

Loren Rosson wrote:

I agree with Mark that Gal. 4:8-10 seems
clearly to refer to Greco-Roman pagan practices
("formerly you were enslaved to pagan deities; how can
you now turn back to these deities, observing the
relevant days, months, seasons?"). On the other hand,
Gal. 5:2-6 alludes to the requirements of Jewish
(proselyte) conversion,
_________________________

It seems to me that in Gal 4:8-10 Paul polemically equates Jewish
observances with pagan observances as part of the argumentative strategy of
the letter. I argue this at more length in my essay on the opponents of
Galatians. Of course, Troy Martin is perhaps the most vocal advocate for
the Galatians turning back to paganism.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary