corpus-paul - RE: voluntary associations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: voluntary associations
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 04:19:01 -0700 (PDT)

David and Mark,

My own view of Galatians has been changing recently,
and I tend to think that you’re both on the right
track. I agree with Mark that Gal. 4:8-10 seems
clearly to refer to Greco-Roman pagan practices
("formerly you were enslaved to pagan deities; how can
you now turn back to these deities, observing the
relevant days, months, seasons?"). On the other hand,
Gal. 5:2-6 alludes to the requirements of Jewish
(proselyte) conversion, and it is easy to imagine that
Paul’s converts were being pressured (by the
Judaizers/influencers) to observe Jewish holy days,
just as they were being pressured to conform with
prevailing pagan norms in the context of wider
Greco-Roman society.

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com