corpus-paul - Re: 1 Cor 13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: jwest AT highland.net
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Cor 13
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:19:24 GMT

> Any thoughts on the object of what 'we see in a mirror dimly' in 1 Cor
> 13:12? Is it God? ourselves? the future? something else?

i have always taken it to be "reality". we perceive reality only in the most
indescript and vague fashion. our perceptions of the whys and hows of life
are
frequently skewed because of our finitude. i think what paul says here is
that "we now perceive all things in a rather distorted way but in future we
will perceive things as they really are". this is, of course, almost a
recapitulation of plato's famous allegory of the cave, but i think that is
precisely what paul is thinking.

so, it is god, ourselves, the future, and everything else to which paul
refers. its not "one of the above" from your list of possibilities but "all
of
the above".

best,
as ever