corpus-paul - RE: The Offense of the Cross

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Douglas C. Horst" <dchorst AT mediaone.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Offense of the Cross
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:48:46 -0500

In addition to the specific context of Galatians, Paul also builds a special meaning for the crucifixion for Gentiles.  To common understanding of crucifixion in general among gentiles and I would guess though I have no citations for it among Hellenistic Jews was that it was a criminal execution.  Among Palestinian Jews, it was a mode of execution used for rebels and bandits more than for criminals.  Some of these rebels and criminals were heroes.

In Paul's strategy in proclaiming the Gospel Of Christ, he used the idea of the offense of "foolishness" of the cross as a symbol for God's way of aligning with the "unwise and powerless."  1 Corinthians 1.18ff offers the clearest development of the idea.  This was done in the context of another conflict between factions though not necessarily "judaizers" and Paul.

Having said the above, I now am inclined to explore the possibility of a socio-economic component in the conflict between the Judaizer group and Paul.

Peace,
Douglas Horst